In 1908 forty-eight (48) individuals set out to make banking a reality in the small sleepy town of Philadelphia, Mississippi located in the heart of Neshoba County. These visionaries together worked to form the town’s very first national bank by applying for a national bank charter. These forty-eight individuals became the bank’s first stockholders raising capital in the amount of $50,000.00 and a $5,000.00 surplus to open the doors of what was then known as The First National Bank.
The currency used as legal tender during the bank’s early years was printed in-house at the First National Bank and issued under the bank’s name.
1914 the bank’s Resources were $240,686.91.
1917 the stockholders’ made a decision to surrender its national bank charter and file for a state charter and change the name from First National Bank to The Citizens Bank. This milestone was the beginning of greater things to come. On June 17, 1917 an article in the local newspaper stated the following; “Largest capital and surplus of any bank in this section of the state. Same management, just new in name with all the environments thrown around to make a good banking institution, ever ready to help in the up building of our county and state.”
1918 the bank urged individuals to purchase War Savings Stamps on or before June 28, 1918 in support of the World War I war effort. The local newspaper ran the following bank ad, “Now we have sent your boy or your neighbor’s boy out into a foreign land, into terror that he cannot know and his faith has not faltered. He knows we will do our part if he does his. Pledge yourself to buy War Savings Stamps”.
December 31, 1918 the bank’s resources totaled $655,038.62 and the bank was paying 4% on time deposits.
February 2, 1923 a statement of conditions recorded that The Citizens Bank’s resources and liabilities were at $971,750.45. The management leaders boasted that the bank was fast approaching the million dollar mark and was the leading bank in this section of Mississippi
May 23, 1930 the local paper recorded the continued progress and visions of the bank’s financial leaders of the era. An article in the paper stated, “In the past ten years, the population of Philadelphia has increased by fifty-two percent. That we have kept the pace with this advancement is evidenced by the fact that our deposits have increased by sixty-seven percent. We have not only anticipated the increasing banking needs for Philadelphia but for the entire community we serve”.
In the early 1960’s the banks management and stockholders’ envisioned another opportunity to grow its company by investing in property to build a new banking facility. In 1965 this vision became a reality. A brand new state of the art three story banking facility was under construction. The new facility opened its doors to the public in June of 1966 with an asset size of $10,174,213.01
The bank’s officials remained committed to the continued growth of their company. This was evident by providing banking of a new kind to the area.
1972 the bank opened the doors of its new Westside Branch bank. This event triggered a new era of easy access banking.
1975 the new Northside Branch location opened.
1981 the Union Branch location opened
February 16, 1982 the bank formed the Citizens Holding Company, at the direction of the Board of Directors of the Bank in order to facilitate the Bank’s adoption of a one-bank holding company structure.
1985 the new Eastside Branch location opened.
1985 the Union Branch relocated to a new facility in downtown Union.
1985 the bank purchased 2 financial locations from the Bank of Central Mississippi.
December 1, 1985 The Citizens Bank opened for business at the Main office in Carthage, and the Sebastopol Branch located in Scott County.
1987 the bank added 9600 square feet to the bank’s main office in Neshoba County.
1990 the Dekalb Branch location opened in Kemper County.
1993 the bank’s first ATM was installed at the Northside Branch location in Philadelphia, MS.
1994 the Bank purchased the Security Savings in Kosciusko.
1995 the Scooba Branch location opened in Kemper County.
1995 the Bank opened a loan production office in Lauderdale County.
1995 the bank implemented Internet banking services.
October 19, 1999 the bank’s stock began trading on the American Stock Exchange under the symbol “CIZ”.
1999 the bank purchased and renovated a historical building in downtown Philadelphia to house additional office space.
1999 the bank purchased 3-D Mortgage Company.
2001 the Forest Branch location was purchased from Union Planters bank in Scott County.
2001 the Decatur Branch location was purchased from Union Planters bank in Newton County.
2002 the bank purchased the Citizens Bank and Trust Company located in Winston County.
December 16, 2002 the bank opened its first full service banking facility in Lauderdale County located at 1825 HWY 39 North, Meridian in the East Gate Shopping Center.
2002 the bank renovated a historical building to house its state of the art computer department, the account service department and the proof department.
September 2002 the bank implemented statement imagining.
February 6, 2003 the Bank built a full service banking facility including an ATM in Sebastopol, MS located on 24 Pine Street.
August 2005 a Mortgage Loan office in Meridian opened in East Gate Shopping Center.
2005 property was acquired to build a banking facility in Oktibbeha County.
2006 the bank switched from the American Stock Exchange to the NASDAQ exchange trading under the new symbol “CIZN”.
2007 property was purchased in Lauderdale County on Highway 19 South, adjacent to Wal-Mart for the purpose of a future banking facility.
August 2007 the Bank opened a full-service banking facility in Collinsville, MS located at 9065 Collinsville Road in Lauderdale County.
October 15, 2007 the bank opened a new branch bank in Starkville, MS located at 201 HWY 12 West.
February 2008 the Broadmoor branch opened for business in Meridian at 5015 HWY 493, Meridian, MS.
August 20, 2008 the Hattiesburg branch office opened for business at 15 Millbranch Rd, Hattiesburg, MS 39420.
November 2008, the Carthage branch opened a new full service branch location at 301 West Main Street, Carthage, MS 39051.
February 2009, Cedar Lake Loan Production office opened at 1765 Popps Ferry Road, Biloxi MS 39532
July 2010, Credit Administration moved to its new location at 520 Center Avenue, Philadelphia, MS 39350
February 11, 2011, the Hattiesburg branch opened its state of the art branch located at 6222 Hwy 98, Hattiesburg, MS 39402.
November 15, 2011, the Flowood branch opened in the Almax Centre, located on Highway 25, Suite Q, Flowood, MS 39232.
February 2014 the bank received approval to open Biloxi Cedar Lake as a full service branch bank.
February 2014, the Biloxi Lemoyne Branch bank opened at 15309 Lemoyne Boulevard, Biloxi, MS 39532.
December 2016, the Oxford Loan Production office opened at 304 Enterprise Drive, Suite A, Oxford, MS 38655.